THIS IS FOR POTENTIAL VOLUNTEERS, NOT CURRENT OR ACTIVE VOLUNTEERS. THIS IS NOT FOR COURT ORDER COMMUNITY SERVICE. Please visit the Community Service Restitution page on our website for more information about the CSR program.
STEPS TO VOLUNTEER WITH US:
1) Attend an Info Session (dates listed here)
2) Follow the instructions in the background check email you receive after the Info Session.
3) As soon as your background check clears, you will be contacted with instructions on to begin volunteering!
Want to make a difference in the lives of homeless pets in America’s largest No Kill city? Here are just some of the positions you’ll be able to choose from:
- Canine Concierge volunteers: Help adopters find the right dog for their family. Many visitors walk away without adopting simply because the AAC facility is so large and can be overwhelming. This position’s primary functions are to help people visit with pets including assistance getting dogs out of kennels for visitors, answering questions about each animal and providing education and resources. 11am-7pm daily
- Cat Enrichment & Adoption volunteer: Cat whisperers, we need you! AAC can be a scary place for cats, with lots of noise and activity. Cat enrichment volunteers spend time giving extra love and attention to fearful felines, ensuring they are in clean and comfortable kennels. They also make sure rambunctious kittens get much-needed exercise and toys. Providing friendly customer service while assisting visitors in their search for their new family cat is also an integral part of the Cat Volunteer job. Enrichment 7am-11am & 7pm-10pm, Adoption 11am-7pm daily
- Dog Enrichment volunteer: If you’ve visited AAC, you know there are lots of dogs! Our dog enrichment volunteers make sure all our dogs get the exercise and attention they need to stay happy and healthy while they wait for their homes. Many of our medium and large dogs wait months to find their new families, so dog enrichment volunteers play a lifesaving role. Volunteers can work with dogs both on and offsite and many of our volunteers foster their favorite dogs. Have a training or behavior background? You can help teach our dogs basic obedience skills through positive reinforcement training! 7am-11am & 7pm-10pm daily
- Clean team: Do you love to organize and clean? We need your help managing our donations, stuffing, handing-out and cleaning Kong toys, and helping with basic tasks like spot cleaning and dishes and laundry. 7am-10pm daily
- Greeters: Possibly the most important volunteer role in the entire shelter, the greeter is the first person our visitors see when they walk through the door. This position answers questions, guides potential adopters to the appropriate areas and serves as a point of contact for visitors. Studies have shown that how people are greeted has a huge impact on whether or not they adopt a pet, so this role is perfect for outgoing, social people. 11am-7pm weekends, 4-7pm weekdays
At Austin Animal Center, we make volunteering fun, easy and rewarding. Join us and learn what it feels like to make a difference in the lives of homeless cats and dogs!
What should you bring to an Information Session?
- If you are under the age of 17, your parent or guardian must attend orientation with you.
- Wear comfortable clothing - we can't adjust the temperature in the room.
- Wear clothing appropriate for interacting with the animals if you are attending the enrichment orientation.
- Wear closed-toed shoes...this is a must!
Call us with questions. Please cancel your registration ASAP if you will not be in attendance. This will allow others to register for your slot.
Sarah Luce & Amanda Wood
Volunteer Program Coordinators
All volunteers are required to complete a Criminal Background Investigation prior to starting as a volunteer, more information will be provided at the Information Session.
Margaret Bunton wrote on February 12th, 2017
Do you think y'all will have saturday volunteer sessions? I would love to volunteer but none of the days fit my schedule or if they do, the time is really early lol
Bianca Michuda wrote on February 4th, 2017
As a new volunteer wanting to get started, i have not done anything but sign up on this website so far...what do i do next? I would like to be a dog adoption specialist but if that is already full i would like to do the dog enrichment. I am confused as it seems there are no "New Volunteer Orientation" Sessions to choose here, but that is what the website says to sign up for...what would you recommend for me? Please email a reply. If I don't hear back I'll go ahead and try giving you guys a call :) Just don't want to sign up for the wrong thing! Thank you!
Cynthia J wrote on January 27th, 2017
Do you have orientation that covers both (dog & cat) at the same time? Or at least on the same day? I live in Kyle, but I work 5 minutes from AAC, so I will be volunteering while I am in Austin.
Carla Bowles wrote on January 23rd, 2017
Can you provide criminal background needed. My Dog class isn't until 01/31. I can likely get it taken care of before then. thanks, C
Carla Bowles wrote on January 23rd, 2017
Looking forward to Dog enrichment and becoming an approved volunteer. I love hanging with the hounds!
Wendy Foley wrote on January 11th, 2017
Hi! Anxious to make an info session but always seem to miss out on the weekend dates (work 9-5 so weekdays won't work)... any idea when the next set of weekend dates will be posted? Don't want to miss it!
Drielle Barbosa wrote on December 7th, 2016
Hi I wanted to volunteeer but I only have time on weekends, is there any chance that can do it on this dates?
Jessica Bautista wrote on November 15th, 2016
I am very interested in registering for your dog enrichment information session on Dec. 1st. However, because I'm a college student, I will be leaving for winter break and I will come back on Jan. 17th. Do you still recommend me attending this session or should I wait for a session in January? Will you have any that month?
I hope to hear from you soon!
cierra bair wrote on October 10th, 2016
when will more dog enrichment information sessions be made?
Louis Dubuque wrote on October 4th, 2016
If someone drops out of the October 11, 3:30 PM time let me know otherwise I will be out of town from Oct 24 until Nov 8 and will look for a time then, Thanks Louis Dubuque