This event ended on December 11th, 2020. Please do not submit your documents anymore, as they will not be counted.
HERO Cards are cards of encouragement and gratitude to send to healthcare and research facilities in Texas for essential and frontline workers.
Participants of all ages and backgrounds from the community can volunteer in this virtual volunteer event. For verification of service, volunteers need to attach their digital or scanned hand drawn card/letter/drawing(s) to their impact. Click on "Add impact" on GivePulse for verification.Verification of attached documents may take up to 1-2 days. The service hours for this volunteer project will be visible on GivePulse.
Volunteers are given the option to submit any number of cards, drawings or letters for each impact. For every 3 documents they submit, volunteers will recieve 1 service hour.
Please select "Time" as the impact type. Volunteers are also encouraged to provide a brief reflection in addition to their cards, which they can complete after clicking "Add Impact".
Volunteers cannot submit a document which is not their own. Unoriginal and/or duplicated documents will NOT be verified.
These reflections may be used for data analysis purposes or as part of an official UTSA newsletter. At the end of every month, the attachments from the volunteers will be collected, and compiled into 4 email newsletters. A weekly email newsletter will be sent to all participating institutions.
Volunteers will not need to send their cards directly to the healthcare facilities.
The attachments will be collected and sent to several participating healthcare facilities including:
- San Antonio State Hospital
- River City Hospice
- San Antonio State Supported Living Center
- Compassus Hospice and Palliative Care
- Heart to Heart Hospice
- New Century Hospice
- Christus VNA Hospice San Antonio
- Four Seasons Hospice
- Texas Biomedical Research Institute
- Midland Health
- Covenant Health
- Encompass Health
- Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center
- Methodist Hospital Metropolitan
- Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant
- Methodist Hospital Northeast
- Methodist Hospital Stone Oak
- Sigma Mental Health Urgent Care Center
- The Center for Health Care Services
Other hospitals and participating institutions will be added to this list when they are available. Please periodically check this event page for their name.
For all letters,
Make sure they are general and not towards any specific employee
Volunteers can start their letter with a simple "dear workers" or something along that line
Volunteers can provide gratitude and appreciation towards essential and frontline workers
Be creative! Volunteers can vibrant colors and designs!
If volunteers are writing a handwritten letter, they need to make sure to write neatly with proper spaces
When writing the letter,
Volunteers should not include private information like phone numbers or addresses
Volunteers can write their name if they like, or they can stay anonymous
Volunteers need to make sure they use appropriate language
Volunteers cannot submit duplicated work, since duplicated work (even if it is original) will not be accepted
Thank you to all the volunteers who are participating in this virtual volunteer event and we look forward to sending these amazing creations to the essential and frontline workers in Texas! If you need a certificate of engagement for your volunteer hours, view this video: https://youtu.be/LebRWDk6gdA
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19? See the CDC’s risk assessment guidance.
- Do you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19? Symptoms can include a cough or shortness of breath or at least two of the following: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell. See the CDC’s symptom information.
Rylee Mcgilbery wrote on January 23rd, 2021
Has anyone else not gotten their impacts approve? I've tried contacting the organizer and also resend my verification emails but haven't heard anything back still.